James “Bucky” Barnes (Winter Soldier) and Steve Rogers (Captain America)
Bucky: Wow. Steve Rogers decides to have fun. It’s not just Christmas…it’s a Christmas miracle.
Steve: Stop. I have fun.
Steve: Remember when I punched Hitler? That was fun.
Bucky: Yeah, okay.
Bucky/Natasha + motorcycles
I don’t see how Fury has ‘never liked’ Bucky.
They fought together during the war. Fury helped Bucky back when he was on the run after this all Winter Soldier thing. He saved Bucky’s life (sort of) with his Infinity Formula. He kept sending him on missions. He worries about him if something’s not right.
That’s why the last pages of Original Sin #3 aren’t necessarily what they seem. I don’t think Fury could really say that he never liked Bucky. Let’s be honest. Everyone liked Bucky. Maybe not that much as Winter Soldier, or even as Captain America, but they surely liked him as Bucky. And as for Bucky’s actions… Let’s leave it until All-New Invaders and next Original Sin.
This October, writer Ales Kot and artist Marco Rudy will create all-new adventures for Bucky Barnes, a.k.a. the Winter Soldier! Announced via A.V. Club, it’s revealed the story will follow Bucky as he takes on a top secret role.
- According to editor Wil Moss, Bucky will travel all over the Marvel Universe and find himself in many iconic locations. “The entire Marvel Universe is his playing field, from the depths of Limbo to the heights of Asgard, and everywhere in between. It’d be like if the James Bond movies suddenly had access to the characters and settings of all the other great film franchises.
- Kot shared his thoughts on the character and what this new series means for him. “Bucky is entering a completely new phase of his life and it is a deeply expansive one. Shedding the old and embracing the new is the core of the character and the series – traveling across galaxies as a very capable and damaged ex-mercenary, having experiences you can’t fit into your established worldview, changing in the process. What is to be embraced? What is to be released? And what is left of the being underneath?”
- A.V. Club: What are the things that attract you to Bucky as a character?
- Ales Kot: Sexy abs.
- Killing brings trauma. Its effects on people and societies are relatively well-documented, yet we still have wars and glorify killing. My work on spy fiction in comics, beginning with Zero and continuing to Secret Avengers, interrogates the space where the trauma is repeated ad nauseam. Winter Soldier is the last part of my exploration of this, at least in comics.
- Are you still thinking about sexy abs?
- Bucky Barnes has undergone self-numbing amounts of traumatic experiences. He killed for the Soviets. He killed for Americans. He had people taken away from him by rather brutal means. He had his mind wiped out. Repeatedly. To top that, he’s hyper-competent when it comes to hurting people and he barely had a childhood.
- AVC: Is there anything you’re hoping you get the opportunity to draw at some point on this book?
- Rudy: There are quite a few. Two of them I asked for and I got a positive from Ales, so those I wont reveal as it’s a pretty kickass surprise. But on to the question, well, since we’ll be spacefaring, space visuals will be awesome to draw. Everyone knows how much of a Silver Surfer fan I am, if I can’t get to draw him space-surfing, we have jetpacks and Bucky has a ship, so…
- I want to visit Titan, draw Ikaris, Makkari, Sersi, The Eternals, man! And from what I know, Barnes is going to be doing his thing all over the place, so, awesome!
- At the same time we’re talking about a very acrobatic, very physical character—he was once Captain America, so the possibilities of showing Barnes doing his thing with flair fill me with excitement. I want to show it all, acrobatic killings, combat prowess, stealth maneuvers, Assassin’s Creed and Splinter Cell meets Captain America and classic pulp heroes. Expect that, and more.
- Also, we have a very interesting supporting cast, of which I’m only going to talk about Daisy Johnson, a.k.a. “Quake.” She takes center stage in this book and it’s finally a female character to draw for me. Been asking to draw female-focused stories for a while now, and here is the chance. Expect her to be quite the badass in this book, she will be every bit the equal of Barnes, and then some, adding to her tactic and combat prowess, her superpower and more. The dynamic between these two will be interesting to explore.
(You can read the whole article here: Source (x))
All-New Invaders #8 preview
Baby Winter Soldier #heroescon2014
(True Detective Style)
it's been a long, long time